Thursday, August 31, 2006

Turdburgers

Chilly 60 today. Considered a jacket, but in honor of the last weeks of summer I had to say no. Jacketless, I write you now.

Got a call from my old copy chief at Ogilvy yesterday. Seems he’s in a state of distress. “Do you have some time to help me with a heinous IBM project?”

I’ve always admired the way Andy tells it the way he sees it. All real. No crap. If he says it’s heinous, there’s no reason for me to think otherwise. He didn’t try to dress it up, or enroll me, or set me up for disappointment. He served up the disappointment straight out. Now I have zero expectations for the assignment, which is far better than having great expectations that will never be fulfilled.

Good on ya, Andy. Much appreciated.

I’m sure you’ve expeirienced the sales pitch before. And you probably fell for one of two of em. Matter of fact I’ve met salespeople so good at selling a lie, that they actually believe their own ball of crap. They actually share in the disappointment when reality walks in the room. Them's special folks, indeed.

Salesmanship is powerful tool, friends.

I mean, the entire country has been eating turdburgers sold to us by the powers that be. And those powers have been gobbling those burgers right with us. The scary thing is, those powers like the taste.

Most of us think the burgers taste, well, crappy. But they keep sellin and gobblin, enjoying the taste of their own poo.


G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home