Monday, November 20, 2006

Reversal

Last night Cam read me a story. I just finished reading to her and, frankly, I was tired of the tales and didn’t want to read anymore. In a moment of inexcusible laziness, I asked her to read me a story.

"OK, Daddy.”

We were huddled together on our impossibly comfortable couch. I rested my weary head (watching football is hard work!) and listened to her little voice.

She read “Guess How Much I Love You.” It’s a story of two nutbrown hares (a dad and son) in a game of who-loves-the-other-more. They one-up the other in describing their love. It’s a gushy piece of sentimentality, pefect way to sugar coat any evening.

Cam started flipping the pages and reciting key words and phrases on each page. Fragments of the story came together. One scene cryptically strung together with the next. She made hand gestures, put emphasis on certain words, she even said “the end” when she made it to the back cover. I was blown away.

Then she proceeded to re-tell the story a dozen times.

That's when I fell asleep.

Damn, she’s good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home