Friday, November 03, 2006

Out of Nothing, This

Allright then. After 15 loads of laundry we made it to the next day. Cam has survived her bout with spontaneous regurgitation. The contractions have subsided. The floors are clean. A collective sigh of relief. Back to work.

We’re helping an agency pitch a chain of restaurants (can’t say the name because of our agreement) and it has been an exciting week. We are firing on all cylinders and our product is receiving rave reviews.

My company has been working together for years, but I feel like we’re just starting to engage in something breakthrough. There’s an ease to the creative process that I haven’t experienced beyond a short spell here and there.

It’s playful and fun, which is always the case, but now there’s a speed and efficiency that makes it all seem so effortless.

I used to think I was the ultimate creative partner. I came into every brainstorm with an open mind, ready to accept any idea and any possibility. But I’m realizing now that image of myself was propaganda manufactured by an overdeveloped ego.

At my old agency, I had a lot of good moments with partners, but more often than not I needed to fight and argue in order to be heard. And if I didn’t get heard I’d pout and grumble.

What a baby!

They say I used to shake the walls at my old agency. My creative director used to call it “Goin’ Greggy”—which meant having a shit fit. I got paid a pretty good salary for acting like that.

I often blamed my partners for my reactions, thinking they were stupid. But it’s hard to blame a partner when you’re the one slamming the door.

Sometimes getting to a good idea was a struggle. It still is a struggle, but I’ve learned to enjoy that struggle instead of resist it. That proabably sounds weird, but I’ll blog about that at another time.

I cared about the work, and I still do. But I think I cared about myself more than anything else. I believe it was more about protecting my ideas, than coming up with good ones. I would resist letting other people elevate ideas beyond what I could see.

And I was probably addicted to the feeling I got when someone liked “my” idea.

Today I realize that no idea is your idea. Ideas come from nothing, just like us.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word to the wise,
words are the identities,questions, commands, and blessings that influence us all. Poems, books, the Bible, letters, and tombstones...what have you-WORDS!
I, I can, I can keep, I can keep a, and I can keep a secret.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of many,
and out of one, many~
All of this and nothing.
Ying and Yang.
(My latin is a little rusty.)
Heads I win and tails you lose?
My personal favorite;
Spontaneous Generation!!!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those who speak don't know.
those who know don't speak.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home