Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wormcatchers

Whoa now! I’m on the 6:53 train! An unprecedented moment of ambition for this blogger. I was up a clear hour and a half before the crack of dawn. Roosters were double-taking. Crickets froze agog. Even Cam was annoyed. As you can probably imagine, I didn’t actually choose to take the 6:53. I’m meeting with a client, and the client happens to be an early birdie. Chirp, chirp.

It’s actually kinda nice doin the early thing. You feel like you just got a leg up on the crowd. So yesterday was a slow work day. Haven’t had one of those in quite some time. I gotta tell you, it kinda throws you off. Since I had a moment, I scanned a few other blogs I enjoy reading from time to time. One in particluar featured a clip of a speech from Sir Ken Robinson. I have no clue who this cat is, but his speech was fantastic.

He spoke about how we are educating the creativity out of ourselves. The emphasis on math and languages in the current school systems worldwide are devaluing the arts, which is killing creative thinking. He states that the current model for schooling was developed back in the Industrial Revolution when people needed to know math and languages in order to get jobs. Times have changed, but math and languages are still the most prized of the cirriculum, while arts is dead last.

With acedemic inflation (BAs don’t mean a thing anymore—you need a master’s degree or a doctorate these days) there’s a need for creative thinking. The school system needs updating, and people should be embracing the gift of creativity, not stamping it out, in favor of something more “marketable.”

Picasso said, “Every child is born an artist. The trick is to remain one as an adult.” Makes me wonder what Cam will be diving into. Will she be a ballerina? A painter? A video game designer? A composer? A sculptress? A musician? An actress? Or... a writer (horrors!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home