Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Psychic Flood

Precarious start to the week, a pipe burst at the daycare and they will be closed for the week ripping out soggy carpet and installing dry stuff. Threw Kris’ and my schedule into a tizzy. There we were, sitting around the dining room table negotiating who gets Cam and when (very amicably I might add). Pretty strange moment that hopefully isn’t foreshadowing anything. Ha ha.

So, get this bit o weirdness: I'm cooking up some vittles for the little mouth and a random thought entered my head. The name Mooch Myernick just popped in. Glenn "Mooch" Myernick was a player in the pre-MLS soccer league here in the US. He helped coach the US team during the last two world cups and he coached a good friend of mine in college. I hardly ever think of this guy, I didn't know him. There was no reason for his name to enter my head last night, but it did for some reason. So I thought about him. I wondered why people called him Mooch.

What a cool nickname.

30 seconds later, my brother calls to tell me that Mooch Myernick died of a heart attack last night. My brother has no connection to Mooch Myernick either, but we often bring up old soccer players with a touch of irony to make each other laugh. The more obscure the name, the funnier. Mooch was on the list of funny players.

So I'll lay that strange psychic experience out there for ya to figure out. I can't explain why I thought of him 30 seconds before my brother called me to tell me he died. I can't explain why my brother felt compelled to call me then and there. I can't explain why Mooch had such a cool nickname, may he rest in peace.

Some things just can't be explained.

GM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myernick was affectionately known to many as "Mooch," a nickname that was given to him years ago by his sister for his antics that reminded her of the Walt Disney character "Moochie" of Mickey Mouse Club fame.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think that you and Kris will be breaking up? Because it sounds like you're practicing.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home