Thursday, March 15, 2007

Nothing's a Problem

Just finished up with a short lesson on evolutionary enlightenment presented by Jeff Carreira. I encourage everybody to spend a couple of hours in a classroom with this guy. He continues to pop open my perspective on life. His latest tune was about deepening awareness through meditation. I won’t get into it because I won’t do the lesson justice, but he said something that not only got through to me, it also greased a few gears.

When you’re meditating you are usually bombarded by thoughts and feelings. It’s an annoying and frustrating experience at times. But you have the capacity to choose to engage with those thoughts, or not. Sounds easy, but no, it’s definitely hard. I struggle with them; the moment they invade my space, I sense a problem.

Jeff simply said, “Nothing’s a problem. It’s part of it all. Just continue on.”

I understood what he said in the context of meditation, but then I realized that simple statement carries over into everything.

What are problems?

I’m mostly thinking about the day to day problems we encounter. The ones that bind us up. The ulcer-inducers. The fret and worry kind. When does something become a problem?

Problems exist because we look at situations from a particular point of view.

That’s not what I was expecting.
I shouldn’t have eaten that.
I backed my car into a ditch.

Problems? Only if we look at them that way.

We create problems. And they’re based on ideals, comparitives, pre-conceived notions. What if I said that problems don’t exist? What if you accepted every situation that came to you.

Jeff said, "It isn’t a problem, it’s part of it all, just continue on.”

It doesn’t change the situation, but it certainly changes how you handle the situation.

Nobody likes problems. We resist them. They’re uncomfortable. We’re afraid of them. But if we accept everything, we are in a more positive relationship to the situation, and we’re in a better position to act fearlessly.

Just as easily as we can create problems, we can un-create them.

Not sure if that’s where Jeff was going. But that’s where I went.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used the" your problems never cease they just change"
motto. Life is constantly solving problems-Do you got a problem with that?

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home