Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Shoptalk

I talk very little business on this blog. Maybe it’s a way of escaping it for an hour each day, but really it’s inescapable. It’s part of me, woven into my capillaries. It pumps through my system 24/7. I’m constantly solving problems, my head is a slurpee machine, constantly turning and churning.

It’s not a habit. It’s not a discipline. It’s just me.

I’m part owner of a company, a teeny one. 3 people. We create advertising. Each of us has our own agenda, or own reason that we formed the company, but for some reason, it’s worked quite seamlessly. Here’s the cast, in no particular order:

Colin “The Explorer.” He digs and sleuths his way through the day. If he isn’t learning, he’s dying. He’s completing his MBA next year while he’s a full-timer with us. He notices every detail, and reads the fine print.

Tessa “The Contributor.” If she isn’t putting her energy to the greater good, she’s dying. She’s constantly and consistently giving. We have a half dozen not-for-profit clients, and that’s only because Tessa walked into the office of one asking what she could do to help. She, too, is pursuing higher education, in the form of a Psychology Masters Degree.

Greg “The Evolver.” If I’m not raising the bar, I’m dying. I push everything we do to another level. I never settle. That’s the tension I need to create in my life in order to feel alive. That’s me at work, that’s me at home. I’m not pursuing a formal degree, but I’m reading and attending workshops in pursuit of my own evolution.

That’s us. Three different people with three different core values, missions, beliefs, yet we’ve come together to form this little company. It’s hardly an accident, we created it carefully and purposefully. It was fragile and delicate at first, but gradually, it has taken root.

I'm grateful for it.

GM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home