Saturday, July 08, 2006

Bergman and the Tramp

Top o da morn!

Wow. Cameron just came down from a grade 4 tantrum. I wouldn't let her watch Lady and the Tramp until she had breakfast and she blew her stack. Snot bubbles, hysterics, the works. Never seen that little mouth open so wide. Sends quite a shock right down the old spine. Especially before 7am.

Now that I'm awake. Guess I'll write about something I haven't done in a while: Watch a movie. Not the casual flipping on the TV, catching a flick halfway through kind of movie watching. I'm talking about purposefully putting a DVD in the player and sinking into the couch kind of movie watching.

We saw "Wild Strawberries" directed by Ingmar Bergman. Set in 1950's Stockholm (I think). It's about an old swedish doctor on his way to receive an award of distinction. He needs to go to Lund, which is in southern Sweden. He decides to go by car, a 14-hour trip. It's kind of a road trip movie with childhood flashbacks, and the occasional hallucination.

I could write a review, but I'm not gonna. Let me put it this way, the film is black and white and subtitled. If ya can't get past that, don't go there. If ya don't mind the horrors of reading and watching, it's worth the rent. Actually, any Bergman film is worth the rent. He is a freakin' master. I think everyone needs a taste of filmmaking other than the Hollywood tripe served up at your local cinemegamovieplex.

Try it folks, shift the perspective. Go for French number like "Swimming Pool." Try something from Pedro Almodovar, anything from Pedro Almodovar. Or maybe something Italian, or English, or Russian, or (gasp) Iranian like "Smell of Camphor, Fragrance of Jasmine" a delightful, funny film. Did ya ever think Iranians can be funny? Not all of them are psycho, extremist militants, my friends.

And you won't find this stuff at Clockluster, no sir. Netflix is worth the 10-spot a month. The selection is better than most any movie rental joint you'll find. And no late fees. That's big. Tell em I sent ya.

OK. Guess it's time break Cam from the spell of her Disney movie. She's mesmerized. Talking puppies. Brilliant. I assure you, though, we'll eventually work our way up to Bergman.

GM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home