Monday, July 03, 2006

Introduction to Poetry

Kris has an assignment for Wednesday, she needs to pick out a poem, any poem, and write a little something about it. Up until a few years ago, I wasn't one for poetry. The stuff I remember reading always annoyed me. The meanings were locked up inside the words and I could never crack em. A frustrating experience. Maybe you feel the same way?

I happened to pick up a copy of "Sailing Alone Around the Room" by Billy Collins at the Gotham Book Store in Manhattan. I read a few lovely little poems and—this is freakish—I understood every word. I got to appreciate the beautiful subtleties of language. The precision. The rhythm. Basically, I was introduced to a new art form, which made no sense before then.

I'd like to thank Mr. Collins for becoming my gateway poet. Based on his simple poems, I have worked my way up to a wider array of poets, though some still annoy me. Anyway, in the spirit of Kris' assignment, I've chosen a poem for you by Mr. Collins. Hope he doesn't mind me republishing without permission.

Introduction to Poetry
Billy Collins

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I was hungary
So my mom took me to McDonald's

-Jay Coe, Poet 1982

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to get "way low" on the poetry thing consider the TaoDeChing - Lao Tze or the Way. You could simply grab one or two of these simple passages and make comment. Heck this could fullfill any other poetry need for sometime to come. http://www.chinapage.com/gnl.html

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...I read through the Tao after I posted the link. It's pretty heady/heavy stuff so maybe this link might be helpful? http://poetry.eserver.org/ They have a little of everything.

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home