Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Economy Has Infected My Soccer Team

Here’s something from the New York Times: “When Derek Jeter heard the word “slump,” he reacted as if he had heard a curse word in church.” I’ve heard of slumps, and I’ve seen slumps. But I’m not one to experience em. No, sir. I may be 40 but I’m still a man on the uphill. An exemplary 110 over 70. Plenty of leafy greens. Yoga-fueled. Stimulant-free. Socially responsible, citizen of the world. Of all people, how could I be experiencing a slump?

Slumps are for schlumps!

This is a complete mystery. So, I did a little research. They say a slump is a period in which a player or team performs below expectation. A dry spell. A drought. Thanks for the enlightenment Wikipunks.


I want to know WHY it happens. An astrological phenomenon? A dark karmic echo? Solar flares?


Think of our economic “climate,” or “downturn,” or “recession"—come up with your own euphemism. It's a collective slump, friends and it's starting to affect my Sundays. My new soccer team, the Ancient Warriors of Wilton, Connecticut are experiencing this "slowdown," or "funk," or "decline." Last 2 games have resulted in draws. 0-0. That’s zero zero. Nil nil for you Brits. Both to inferior teams. Yeah, all you bright-siders and silver-liners will be all “you didn’t lose.”


Shut it!


Like I heard after the game "a draw is like kissing your cousin." Unsatisfying, ungratifying, just plain un-good.


If you've got an answer here, I wanna hear it. If anything works, I'll give Bernanke a buzz.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Allers said...

OK, so a blip is a sudden drop in form, due to the fact that we're not perfect. A sequence of a number of blips, and one starts to lose confidence, over-think, try too hard to force something to happen, etc, and it becomes a slump.

So avoid over-thinking, over-analyzing, trying too hard to make a specific thing happen. Instead, just play.

Goals in soccer happen so infrequently, that placing your entire measure of sucesss / failure on an event like that seems harsh. Maybe next game, get everyone to focus on winning / controlling the ball. Once you have the ball, focus only on making a successful pass. If the entire team just concentrates on those two simple things, and I would bet that goal opportunities will develop.

And it will be more fun.

PS: Kissing your cousin at 10 is weird but understandable. At 40-something, its downright inappropriate.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home